Simple Tasks Every New Homeowner Should Consider
Congratulations! You bought the home of your dreams, now what? These simple, but important tasks will help any new homeowner settle into their new home.
- Change the locks. There is no way to determine how many spare keys to your house are floating around.
- Deep Clean. Deep clean your new home from top to bottom before moving in.
- Renovate interior. Add personal touches with window treatments, paint and floor coverings. Complete these projects early to avoid moving furniture and other items again.
- Update mailing address. Contact banks, insurance companies, employers as well as update your driver’s license with the new mailing address.
- Copy housing documents. Make copies of the closing documents. Keep a copy off premises and another in a fireproof safe.
- House systems. Familiarize yourself with your home’s electrical system; locate the electric meter and breaker box. A/C filters should be replaced regularly, locate the filter and note the size. Make sure air ducts are not blocked. Check the temperature of the water heater.
- Personalize mailbox. Change the mailbox with your name and replace address numbers if need be.
- Test fire safety. Check to make sure all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are installed properly, in good working order and are clean. Fire extinguishers must be located on every floor.
- Make evacuation plan. Identify two exits out of the home in case of emergency and choose a safe meeting place.
- Locate weather shelter. If the home does not have a basement or underground shelter, select a space on the lowest level of the home without windows. Update the severe weather alert on your phone with your new address.